The part I was most excited about this whole process was the rendering. Luckily I rendered out quite a few shots as I tried to pin down the look of the final scene so we'll go through them and I'll try to discuss each but the process and the progress of the image should tell you how keen I was to get the image looking right.
I'll do a post-mortem on the project as a whole and my general thoughts soon but for now let's focus on getting the image right.
This was one of my first attempts. The lighting was drab and I hadn't thought about texturing anything at this stage. I took this image relatively early on in the process.
To me it doesn't really 'pop' out. The lighting is a touch too dark and the framing of the scene is out of place. The focus should be on the train- but it isn't. The focus is on the room as a whole.
Now we move onto my second render, you'll see a very basic laptop has appeared in the scene and a poster of the Toy Story character Buzz. The lighting has been improved with a skylight & a directional light. I found angling the light through the window gave me this nice natural looking shadow. The scene as a whole felt much better after adding the lights in. Look at the shadows under the desk between the two images.
You'll notice the cups have been added and the books in the scene stant out more. I gave them additional polygons to make them less flat surfaces and more like real books. you'll notice the camera angle is the same as the last and that's because I decided finally where to put the camera to frame the scene. I wanted to capture the room but make sure the train remain the focal point and I thought this angle struck a nice balance on the whole. I took a look at the camera settings to look at the 'focal length' on the camera to capture the feeling on a model, it's more distortated than the regular setting but again, I thought it added to the scene as a whole.
Render 4 here we finally take a look at the laminate flooring, I was a really big fan of the reflections created here. The shadow from the window becomes last on the scene but a worthy trade off.
This render is unique, it's the only one with bump-mapped laminate flooring. I thought that by adding the bump map it would enchance the image and it did but the trade off was that I couldn't get the reflections to looik as clear as they did. I still weight up the decision to leave the floor without a bump map up now but I wanted to keep the reflections so they didn't make it further.
Here we have the final product-
I removed Buzz as I couldn't find a source for the image and replaced it with the University of Bradford logo. The reflections on the wooden floor have been reduced but still remain as a much more subtle effect. I'm happy with how the rendering turned out overall!
I'll do a post-mortem on the project as a whole and my general thoughts soon but for now let's focus on getting the image right.
This was one of my first attempts. The lighting was drab and I hadn't thought about texturing anything at this stage. I took this image relatively early on in the process.To me it doesn't really 'pop' out. The lighting is a touch too dark and the framing of the scene is out of place. The focus should be on the train- but it isn't. The focus is on the room as a whole.
Now we move onto my second render, you'll see a very basic laptop has appeared in the scene and a poster of the Toy Story character Buzz. The lighting has been improved with a skylight & a directional light. I found angling the light through the window gave me this nice natural looking shadow. The scene as a whole felt much better after adding the lights in. Look at the shadows under the desk between the two images.
You'll notice the cups have been added and the books in the scene stant out more. I gave them additional polygons to make them less flat surfaces and more like real books. you'll notice the camera angle is the same as the last and that's because I decided finally where to put the camera to frame the scene. I wanted to capture the room but make sure the train remain the focal point and I thought this angle struck a nice balance on the whole. I took a look at the camera settings to look at the 'focal length' on the camera to capture the feeling on a model, it's more distortated than the regular setting but again, I thought it added to the scene as a whole.
Render 4 here we finally take a look at the laminate flooring, I was a really big fan of the reflections created here. The shadow from the window becomes last on the scene but a worthy trade off.
This render is unique, it's the only one with bump-mapped laminate flooring. I thought that by adding the bump map it would enchance the image and it did but the trade off was that I couldn't get the reflections to looik as clear as they did. I still weight up the decision to leave the floor without a bump map up now but I wanted to keep the reflections so they didn't make it further.
Here we have the final product- I removed Buzz as I couldn't find a source for the image and replaced it with the University of Bradford logo. The reflections on the wooden floor have been reduced but still remain as a much more subtle effect. I'm happy with how the rendering turned out overall!
Comments
Post a Comment