Skip to main content

The Night before!









I know it's been a long time coming but I wanted to be done with my project before I addressed it here. So this is the first of a couple of posts- this one will go over the          project itself and the next post will cover rendering and the stages I ran through to get everything working so let's dive into it! 


Image result for toy train 3d reference
Found on 3D warehouse
So I decided to go down the toy train route, simple but effective if done well. I started to 
research the references. I wanted something simple but could really shine as a 'hero' asset- that is the focal point of a scene. The wooden train you see to the left is more detailed than my own- I wanted a clean look, polished and simple so it didn't fit. 


Image result for toy train wooden
Found @ https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-wooden-toy-train-1215533




This toy train was another consideration, it was simple and something I felt I could accomplish. I felt that after my previous attempts I needed to get something done to boost my confidence and get a model done and under my belt. I wanted to get the train done. 



Next stage was to find something I liked so I took a look on https://www.udemy.com/

and sure enough there was a tutorial about a toy train by Bhaumik Patel (https://www.udemy.com/user/bhaumik-patel-5/) and included in there where two .IFF files with side view and top view of a 3D toy train. So I used those as a foundation, it would have been easy to follow the tutorial 100% of the way through but that would be dry and in my mind uninspired. I took the pasics and built on them- added more detail to the train- built a scene around it, tried to let the animation give it that little bit more character. 

So without further ado, here's a final rendered still from the animation




Final scene Image


The model itself is simple, blocks and cylinders- for the materials I tried to keep it looking like plastic both body and roof. I did a couple of tests in substance and it looked 'fine' but it wasn't a massive improvement over the basic shaders.


The rest of the scene was made using a previous low poly scene I'd created and what I did was tweak it, and try to expand on the scene. I added more polys overall to the chair and the table- using bevel to achive a smoother look. The cups where created by extruding into a cylinder and creating the handles with a bridge (plus a curve!). The poster and the floor are textured, I wanted to- if I wasn't texturing the hero asset atleast get some form of texture in there. The wooden laminate texture comes from https://photos.com/featured/1-high-quality-high-resolution-seamless-wood-texture-flooring-parquet-kelllll.html 


For the scene around the train I looked at 'low poly scenes' such as the one in the video below.
















From https://imgur.com/t/blender_3d/LrIYW

I also took a look around because I'd seen them done before on social media and I always thought they had a really nice charm to them so I thought I'd try my own take on the idea. I think I hit some of the marks but I would have loved to spend that little bit more extra time really scrubbing up the 'scene' as a whole. 










Image result for low poly room
From https://www.deviantart.com/flacokawashiwa/art/Isometric-Low-Poly-Bedroom-737299201
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rendering- Let's glam up!

The part I was most excited about this whole process was the rendering. Luckily I rendered out quite a few shots as I tried to pin down the look of the final scene so we'll go through them and I'll try to discuss each but the process and the progress of the image should tell you how keen I was to get the image looking right.  I'll do a post-mortem on the project as a whole and my general thoughts soon but for now let's focus on getting the image right.  This was one of my first attempts. The lighting was drab and I hadn't thought about texturing anything at this stage. I took this image relatively early on in the process. To me it doesn't really 'pop' out. The lighting is a touch too dark and the framing of the scene is out of place. The focus should be on the train- but it isn't. The focus is on the room as a whole.  Now we move onto my second render, you'll see a very basic laptop has appeared in the scene and a poster of the Toy Story ...

Spaceship progress and thoughts so far,...

So this is the image I decided to use as a reference for my space ship- it's baased on the spaceship from the video game No Mans Sky and the image itself is by Justin Mezzell . So here's my progress so far- it's still rough and it's behind where I expected I'd be at this point in time but so far it's looking ok- I'm having some trouble with the engines on the wings at the moment which is a bit of a pain. Overall I'm happy with the look so far but we'll see how it develops beyond this.