The brief is simple- create a prop and animate it!
BUT.
What prop? What do I do?
What prop? What do I do?
So lets
look at what I want from this model:
I want
a prop that'll look great on a portfolio (I get it- it won't be incredibly amazing and
I'm sure it'll have it's issues, but it's a start.)
I want to
be challenged, I want to make something that won't be easy, but will give me
lots of learning opportunities along the way.
I want to make a
prop that has character and can tell its own story.
![]() |
| Two triggers? Twice the fun! |
So
naturally I drifted towards a sword first. Well, no that's a lie at first I
thought about Deckard’s Gun from Blade Runner. I'm going through a
very cyberpunk/dystopian phase at the moment. A brief look
online
can tell that this has been done to death. It's a gun too so personally I was
reluctant, there are some incredible gun models out there, covering almost any
type of firearm available.
Then I
thought about a sword, sharp, pointy- probably quite straight forward if I
wanted it to be. But not for this specific assignment I reckon. ( Though I
have seen some damn impressive and detailed swords in quite a few portfolios so
it remains a back-up I suppose.)
![]() |
| Seriously this might be the best Burger I've seen in a game! |
Then I thought about a burger, I could use McDonalds as a research trip! I could buy a shed load of burgers for 'reference'. I'm only half joking here, but the thing about a burger- the modelling side could probably be done reasonably well I think but the texture-work would have to be on point, to really make it stand out- and if my 3D modelling skills are lacking my texturing is, well, I've never done it before- I understand some of the ideas behind it but not enough at this stage to bring this particular idea to life.
So I
decided on a space ship.
But Ben,
isn't there like a billion spaceships out there? Yeah. There are a metric ton
of them.
My idea is that I can scale the complexity to match my skills if I find myself struggling. I can inject character into the animation, be it hurtling from the sky or caught in a vicious dogfight in the stars. There are different styles I could go for, the more old-school 70's sci-fi or a more modern sleek approach. It's one of those things that the more I thought about it- the more the idea appealed to me. I'm not 100% on the design of the ship yet; I'm knee-deep in Pinterest, Artstation etc. trying to finalise it- but I'm pretty much decided at this point.
My idea is that I can scale the complexity to match my skills if I find myself struggling. I can inject character into the animation, be it hurtling from the sky or caught in a vicious dogfight in the stars. There are different styles I could go for, the more old-school 70's sci-fi or a more modern sleek approach. It's one of those things that the more I thought about it- the more the idea appealed to me. I'm not 100% on the design of the ship yet; I'm knee-deep in Pinterest, Artstation etc. trying to finalise it- but I'm pretty much decided at this point.
![]() |
| Yes, this is mine yes, it's a first try- no it's not for a PSOne game... |
I decided to boot up Maya 2018- fresh faced and just give it a try and the results where....well...but this was more to try to re-familiarise myself with Maya than anything else and just see what I made just on the word -spaceship without any particular reference. (It's just a square with lots of extruding to be honest)
Unless I
see something different then I guess I'll have to write this all again...
Follow up post with research to follow...soon



Comments
Post a Comment