How essential? Well if you don't have it - or a sembalance of it you're going to get into heaps of trouble right out the gate. That's not great.
So how do I manage my time? I work 16 hours a week in Leeds for a bank doing mortgages- so even when I'm not working I'm thinking about the job- the customers and the conversations I've had. It can be hard to engage with university work in that mindset because I've got my mortgages mindset in play. Trust me they're very different things. On the job I learn something new everyday and at university I learn multiple new things every hour! It's exhausting.
If I don't keep a proper schedule I'll never get work done! But if I don't rest then I'll never get any work done! It's very catch-22. It's a balance that I can honestly say I haven't mastered yet- I'm getting there but I'm by no means perfect. My first few weeks in university I burned out very quickly because I was very keen to get the work done there and then- but giving myself no time to really recover and rest. Then the following month I took it too easy- and got very little useful work done. That frustrated me to no end. Even now I'd say I'm on the lax side of things but I've been trying to implement a system of working for 4 hours then playing a computer game- or watching a video for an hour after. Naturally though I've sometimes caught myself very taken up with work and sat there for a day just plugging away at something- and equally I've found myself idling not doing anything useful for hours.
It's a balance I haven't mastered but one that I'll be paying close attention to in the future.
Comments
Post a Comment